salted brown butter rice krispie treats
- 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 1 teaspoon coarse sea salt or kosher salt
- Spray a 8" square cake pan with non-stick cooking spray or coat with melted butter. Prepare a square of parchment paper approximately the same size as the cake pan and set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter, stirring constantly. Continue stirring the butter as it foams and then turns clear yellow, then begins to brown.
- As soon as butter turns brown with little bits floating around, remove the pan from heat. Immediately stir in the marshmallows until smooth and melted.
- Add salt and stir well.
- Add rice krispie cereal and toss lightly in butter and marshmallow mixture until well coated.
- Using a spatula or wooden spoon, turn out the cereal mixture into the cake pan and press with the back of the spoon/spatula to get all of the cereal into the cake pan.
- Put the parchment paper on top of the cake pan and press down lightly to form the rice krispies into the pan in one even layer.
- Cool completely, then slice into squares and serve immediately.
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2015/01/salted-brown-butter-rice-krispie-treats.html