- 1 red bell pepper
- 8 ounces finely shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
- 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise (Hellman's, preferably; is there any other kind?)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 shot (1.5 ounces) of good quality bourbon OR
- 1 tablespoon sriracha OR
- 2 strips very crispy bacon, chopped roughly OR
- 1 jalapeno OR
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- Wash bell pepper and jalapeno (if using) and pat very dry with paper towels. Turn on the broil function to your oven and allow it to warm up for about 2-3 minutes.
- Place the pepper(s) about 2 inches from the top of the broiler in oven.
- Flip the pepper(s) with tongs after about two minutes to make sure the skin on all sides gets blackened evenly.
- Remove pepper(s) from oven once it is completely blackened on all sides and immediately place in a heatproof bowl. Cover with a plate to steam; let pepper(s) cool.
- While the pepper(s) are cooling, stir together the cream cheese and the mayonnaise.
- Remove pepper(s) from bowl, reserving liquid, and peel skin off.
- Remove seeds and stem, then chop the remaining flesh into a small dice.
- Stir together the peppers, reserved pepper liquid, grated cheese and mayo/cream cheese combo until well blended.
- If using optional ingredients, fold them in after all other ingredients have been mixed together.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately with your favorite crackers or store up to a week tightly covered in the refrigerator (after chilling, bring to just below room temperature prior to serving).
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2015/04/pimento-cheese-recipe.html