tempura glazed crunchy sweet potatoes
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, washed, peeled and cut into 1-inch dice*
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon canola oil or butter
- scant ¼ low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (Japanese sweet rice wine)
- 1-inch piece of ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and minced
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 green onions, diced
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine ¼ cup oil, soy sauce, mirin, ginger, rice vinegar, light brown sugar and garlic; add sweet potatoes and toss to coat well.
- Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray and arrange sweet potato mixture in a single layer.
- Cover dish with foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining oil or butter in a skillet until shimmering.
- Add panko bread crumbs, stirring constantly until panko is golden brown (watch the pan carefully so the panko doesn't burn).
- Remove panko to a paper towel-lined plate and let cool.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and remove the foil, stirring the potatoes.
- Spread back into an even layer and roast, uncovered, an additional 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes again, toss, spread back into an even layer and roast for a final 10 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and let cool slightly. Toss with panko and scallions and serve immediately.
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2014/03/recipe-tempura-glazed-crunchy-sweet-potatoes.html