virgil kaine fig and ginger bourbon fizz
- 3 ounces Virgil Kaine ginger-infused bourbon
- 4 fresh black figs
- 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons honey syrup (instructions below)
- sparkling water (approximately 2 ounces)
- equipment: cocktail shaker, muddler, vegetable peeler
- honey syrup: ½ cup honey, ½ cup water
- Make the honey syrup: in small saucepan, bring a ½ cup of water to a slow boil over medium heat. Add honey and stir well until completely combined. Remove from heat and cool completely.
- Using a vegetable peeler, peel two long strips of lemon rind and set aside. Slice the lemon in half and squeeze half of it into the cocktail shaker.
- Slice 2 figs in half and place in a cocktail shaker along with bourbon and honey syrup. Muddle the figs until completely pureed and incorporated into the bourbon, lemon and honey syrup.
- Add ice and shake to mix thoroughly. Strain into two glasses filled halfway with ice, then top off with sparkling water.
- Slice the other two figs lengthwise almost all the way, leaving them joined at the stem. Slide one fig onto the lip of each glass and garnish the lemon peel. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2015/09/virgil-kaine-fig-and-ginger-bourbon-fizz.html