Shogun Lemongrass & Basil Cocktail
- For the lemongrass infused agave
- 2 cups agave nectar
- 2-3 stalks fresh lemongrass
- For the cocktails
- 1 shot (1.5 oz) lemongrass infused agave nectar
- 1 shot (1.5 oz) lemon juice
- 3-5 fresh basil leaves
- 1 shot (1.5 oz) Hendricks gin
- Ice and soda water, to taste
- To make the agave, bring agave nectar to a simmer over low heat in a small saucepan.
- With the blunt edge of a knife, bruise lemongrass (pound it) to bring out the fragrance and add it to the saucepan.
- Allow lemongrass to simmer for 3-5 minutes, then remove from heat and immediately transfer to a non-reactive (heat-resistant plastic or other non-metal) container.
- Let agave nectar rest with lemongrass stalks inside at room temperature for at least 6 hours. After infusing, remove lemongrass and discard.
- Refrigerate agave until ready for use.
- To make the cocktails, combine lemon juice, agave nectar and basil leaves in a glass and muddle together to blend flavors.
- Add muddled mixture to a cocktail shaker with ice and gin.
- Top with a splash of soda water.
- Close cocktail shaker tightly and shake vigorously.
- Strain cocktail and serve immediately over ice.
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2014/04/drink-spring-o-kus-shogun-cocktail.html