japanese donabe clay pot seafood soup
- 2 cups dashi
- ¼ cup mirin
- ¼ cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 scallions, sliced thin, julienne style and soaked in a small bowl of ice water
- 2 cups Napa cabbage, rinsed and cut into 2-inch sized pieces
- 4 littleneck clams
- 4 jumbo shrimp, head on
- 1 haddock filet, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 ounces enoki mushrooms
- 1 cup baby carrots
- Mix dashi, mirin, and soy sauce in a medium bowl.
- Soak scallions in ice water until they begin to curl, about 8-10 minutes. Drain and squeeze dry in paper towels; set aside.
- Line the donabe with the napa cabbage.. Arrange clams, shrimp, haddock, mushrooms, carrot, and about a ¼ cup of scallion pieces; add dashi mixture.
- Cover donabe and heat over medium-high until liquid is just simmering. Uncover, reduce heat to low, and gently simmer until clams open and shrimp and fish are cooked through, 5–8 minutes.
- Serve topped with drained scallions.
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2016/05/japanese-donabe-clay-pot-seafood-soup.html