smoked mackerel pate
- 1 whole smoked mackerel, filet (approximately 1.5 cups; if you can't find mackerel, you can substitute a can of chunk white albacore tuna, drained and flaked with a fork)
- 6 tablespoons creme fraiche
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornichons (gherkins), drained and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Flake the mackerel (or tuna) into a medium-sized bowl, being careful to remove any large bones.
- Add creme fraiche and, using a rubber spatula, stir gently to incorporate.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper, then add capers and cornichons, a little at a time, tasting as you go. The final product should taste tart and savory but not overly salty.
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2016/12/smoked-mackerel-pate.html