original pepper jack creamed corn
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- 8-10 ears fresh corn
- 1 8-ounce package of reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into 1-inch chunks and slightly softened
- ¼ stick butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven in broiler mode.
- Place red bell pepper and jalapeno pepper on a foil-lined baking sheet under broiler for 2-3 minutes until skin on one side is blackened.
- Using tongs, rotate peppers to a non-blackened side and broil for another 2 minutes.
- Continue rotating peppers until all sides are blackened and skin is peeling slightly. Remove peppers from oven and immediately place in a bowl.
- Cover bowl with a plate and let cool.
- Using a sharp paring knife, remove corn kernels from the cob into a medium bowl, scraping the cobs to make sure the milk from the kernels is reserved.
- Combine all ingredients except the peppers in a slow cooker.
- When peppers are cool, remove blackened skins, seeds and stems from the peppers and mince.
- Add peppers to slow cooker and cook on low for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally.
Recipe by Grits and Chopsticks at https://www.gritsandchopsticks.com/the-gravy-train/2013/05/try-this-now-pepper-jack-creamed-corn.html